The end of November is the time when people start shopping and decorating for Christmas 2021. Advent Calendar is an indispensable item for this occasion. Besides traditional advent calendars, wine advent calendars are becoming more and more popular.
This Christmas holiday, you can make a wine advent calendar yourself. It can be a great Christmas gift for your family or friends. Today, we will show you how to make a wine advent calendar.
- What is a Wine Advent Calendar?
- 3 Best Wine Advent Calendar Gifts for Christmas 2021
- Which Wine Can You use for Making a Wine Advent Calendar?
- How to Make a Wine Advent Calendar
- Final Words
What is a Wine Advent Calendar?
A wine advent calendar is a type of advent calendar that uses wine bottles as the daily presents. If you haven’t known about the advent calendar, here is the explanation.
The advent calendar is a special calendar for counting the days leading up to Christmas. It comes in many different forms.
The traditional advent calendar is the secret gift for children before Christmas. It could be 24 gift boxes numbered from the 1st to the 24th of December.
Each day, the kids will open 1 gift box corresponding to the order number of that day. Inside the box, there are usually candies, chocolate, or toys.
Wine advent calendars are Adult-only advent calendars. They have the same style as the traditional advent calendar. But instead of chocolate or toys, there are 24 bottles of wine inside the gift boxes.
3 Best Wine Advent Calendar Gifts for Christmas 2021
1. Advent Calendar for Alcohol & Adults
- You don’t have to wait until December to enjoy a festive drink-get one today with Advent Calendar for Alcohol & Adults! Let your friends and family know they are on your Christmas list this year by gifting them booze.
- Calendar isn’t just for holidays; it makes the perfect gift any time of the year and is sure to be loved by anyone who declares themselves an alcoholic or loves telling others how much they do, from day one.
2. Adult Advent Calendar Wooden Christmas Tree Alcohol Holds Mini Wine Bottles
- Advent is about counting down the days until Christmas. But why wait for Christmas to arrive when you can have a mini wine tasting right now? This beautiful solid wall wooden advent calendar features 24 compartments that each holds 187.5mL of your favorite drink!
- The top has two hinged doors with brass hinges, so they are easy to open and close. Simply put your bottle in one compartment, close it up and then on December 1st, switch out your drink for something new before starting over again.
- Decorate this beauty any way you want – paint or stain it individually or ask us for a custom order to ensure we match the colors just right!
3. Grape Juice Mom | Alcohol Holiday Advent Calendar
- The Grape Juice Mom is here to make all those childhood fantasies come true. With 12 windows, which can be filled with any type of alcohol or delicious sugary delicacies such as chocolates, lollipops, or even just little notes from friends and family members, there’s finally something for everyone on your holiday map. Never again will you find yourself sitting in front of an empty container; we think it’s time to give back thrust!
- This product is perfect for those who love the holiday season and enjoy giving thoughtful gifts. The 12-day advent calendar can be filled with alcohol, candy, chocolates, pets toys, or anything you wish to make this a memorable gift. Crafted from durable hardboard material, it’s also reusable making your purchase eco-friendly as well!
Which Wine Can You use for Making a Wine Advent Calendar?
You can use any wine for a wine advent calendar. There are 5 common types of wine. They are red wine, white wine, rose wine, sparkling wine, and dessert wine. Let’s take a closer look at each wine type to know more about them.
1. Red wine
Red wine is wine made from grapes that have dark skin. People choose fresh wine grapes and ferment them along with their skins. That makes the color, flavors, acidity, and tannin levels of red wine.
The color of red wine can be opaque purple, deep garnet, or light ruby color. The color varies depending on the different grape varieties.
Red wine has high tannin levels. So, when you drink red wine, you can feel a dry sensation on the palate. The acidity of red wine is slight and brings a refreshing mouthfeel.
The flavors of red wine are mainly fruity. There is also cedar, chocolate, and coffee notes caused by the oak barrel. Red wines from different countries will have different flavors.
Red wines go well with red meat dishes such as beefsteak or veal. The most popular red wines are Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, and Melot.
2. White wine
White wine is also a wine made from grapes. But people use green-skinned grapes or remove the skins of dark-skinned grapes for making white wine.
This wine type is clear with a golden-yellow tint. Tannin levels of white wines are extremely small. White wines have almost no tannins. The acidity of white wines is high and the alcohol content is low.
White wines taste either dry or sweet. The common flavors are lemon, grapefruit, apple, quince, and peach flavors.
Like red wines, white wines also have blended grapes varieties ingredients. You can serve white wine with seafood dishes like shrimp or crab. The most popular white wines are Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, and Chardonnay.
3. Rose wine
To make rose wines, people macerate the red wine grapes juice with grape skins for a few hours. The short macerating time gives the wine a light pink color.
Rose wines may taste sweet, dry, or sparkling.
For most rose wines, you should drink early. But there are some sparkling rose wine can age for up to 30-40 years.
The color of rose wine is pink with shades ranging from blush pink to translucent red color.
The acidity of rose wine ranges from moderate to high levels. Rose wines are suitable for serving with chicken, salmon, duck, lamb, veggie skewers, and soft cheese.
4. Sparkling wine
Sparkling wine is a fizzy drink containing a significant level of carbon dioxide.
To produce sparkling wines, people will ferment the wine twice. The first fermentation will go as usual. In the second fermentation, there are 2 different methods.
The first one is the traditional method in which the fermentation takes place in the bottle. In the second method or Charmat method, people use pressurized tanks for fermenting the wine.
The color of sparkling wines can be red, white, or rose depending on the grapes used. Sparkling wines contain low tannin levels and have moderate to high acidity.
The flavors of sparkling wines are various for ingredients of different grape varieties. Food pairing of sparkling wines includes cream cheese, seafood, fruit desserts.
5. Dessert wine
Dessert wine is a sweet wine made by fermenting the grape juice partially. This fermenting method leaves some residual sugar in the wine and makes it a sweet taste.
Dessert wines’ colors are red, white, and rose. This wine contains low to moderate tannins and more than 1% acidity. As its name says, people serve dessert wine with desserts.
How to Make a Wine Advent Calendar
Many manufacturers offer wine advent calendars with various designs and prices. But you can make a wine advent calendar yourself with your favorite wines.
You can save a lot of money and have so much fun, too. A DIY wine advent calendar can be a great Christmas present for your family members or friends.
Here is the detailed guide for making a wine advent calendar.
To make a wine advent calendar, you will need the following things.
- 24 mini bottles of wine. You can mix different types of wine.
- 1.5-inch PVC pipes
- A pipe cutter or saw
- A hot glue gun
- A paint sprayer with golden color paint
- Number stickers from 1 to 24
- Craft glue
2. How to do it
- Step 1: Cut the PVC pipe into 6-inch long pieces with the pipe cutter or saw. Make 24 pieces. You can also ask the hardware store where you buy the pipe to cut it for you.
- Step 2: Arrange 24 pipes in any shapes you like. Here we make a Christmas tree shape with 7 rows of pipes. The number of pipes from the bottom of the tree upward is 3-6-5-4-3-2-1.
- Step 3: Use the hot glue gun for attaching the pipes. You can make each row first, then stack the rows into the tree formation and glue them.
- Step 4: Paint the pipes in golden color with the paint sprayer. You should do this step outdoor to keep your home clean. Wait until the paint dries completely.
- Step 5: Measure and cut the cardstock into circles that fit the pipes. You can put a piece of pipe on the cardstock and draw the circle around it. You should use cardstock with typical patterns and colors of Christmas.
- Step 6: Stick the number stickers on the paper circles. Number them from 1 to 24. If you don’t have number stickers you can write the numbers on the circles.
- Step 7: Fill each pipe of the advent calendar with a bottle of wine. You should choose slim bottles to fit the pipes.
- Step 8: Glue the paper circles on the front of the pipes with craft glue.
- Step 9: Cut a long piece of ribbon and wrap it around the pipe tree. Make a bow on the top. You have done with your Christmas wine calendar.
We hope that through this article you have known more about wine advent calendars. Although this adult-only advent calendar has just appeared in recent years, many people love it. You can make your wine advent calendar according to the instructions we provided.
If you don’t have time to do it, simply buy one. There are many attractive models of wine advent calendars for you to choose from. Your Christmas will be more wonderful with this boozy advent calendar.